Our company is growing! Located in Pittsburgh, PA., Special Pathogens Laboratory (SPL) is a nationally-recognized analytical microbiology laboratory and consulting firm that offers healthcare facilities, water treatment providers, and other commercial and industrial sectors reliable, high-quality services specializing in the detection, control and remediation of waterborne pathogens such as Legionella. SPL is a mission-driven company. We have a proud tradition of leading the nation in Legionella detection and the prevention of Legionnaires’ disease. Our multidisciplinary approach uniquely combines the expertise of microbiologists, engineers, communications experts, and physicians to provide comprehensive solutions for our clients.
SPL is currently seeking a highly motivated and experienced Assistant Laboratory Director for a full-time assignment under Dr. Janet Stout. We offer competitive salary and benefits, and a stimulating work environment. Relocation or remote work is available.
The position requires the following qualifications:
- Education: PhD in microbiology, molecular biology, biology, or public health field from an accredited university.
- Demonstrated well-developed leadership and personnel management skills.
- Experience: At least 5 years of experience in environmental microbiology, with water bacteriology preferred but not required; prior publication experience including peer-reviewed articles; prior experience in analytical laboratory management.
- Proven ability to apply a wide range of concepts, techniques and practices to carry out broad laboratory objectives.
- Established ability to evaluate and produce reliable results, problem-solve and trouble shoot complex problems.
- Excellent communication skills – written & oral.
- Proficient in the use of various software programs including Microsoft products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, End Note, etc.)
- Demonstrated character traits in line with our core values of Integrity, Respect, Exceptional, Enthusiasm and Nice.
As the president of Special Pathogens Laboratory and a research associate professor at the University of Pittsburgh Swanson School of Engineering in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Dr. Janet E. Stout has developed a team with a mission to End Legionnaires Disease and other waterborne pathogen infections. Dr. Stout is an infectious disease microbiologist recognized worldwide for more than 30 years of pioneering research in Legionella and was credited as the first to demonstrate the link between Legionnaires’ disease and the presence of Legionella in hospital water systems. Dr. Stout’s research has been published in peer- reviewed medical and scientific journals on Legionella and Legionnaires’ disease including: The New England Journal of Medicine, Journal of the American Medical Association, the Journal of Clinical Microbiology, the Journal of Infectious Diseases, and the Journal of the American Water Works Association.
Dr. Stout and Special Pathogens Laboratory are seeking an individual who can learn from the long history of great successes of the past, leverage their own management style and lead the organization into the future.
- Comprehensive knowledge of state of the art microbiologic, immunologic, and molecular biology assay formats that can be adapted to the company missions and create an organized process for assay development.
- Ability to lead a high performing team and understand market pressures, adapt to the market and influence the environmental testing marketplace.
Job Duties include but are not limited to:
- Assume overall responsibility of laboratory processes, including general analytical testing, adding new test methods, as well as research activities and product evaluations.
- Maintain broad knowledge of relevant healthcare guidelines, scientific principles and trends; provides leadership to direct others in solving complex problems.
- Development, review, and implementation of policies, procedures, and guidelines for the methods used to provide timely and accurate processing of samples, analysis, and reporting of test results to clients; as well as policies and procedures to maintain client satisfaction and confidentiality.
- Oversite of technical standard operating procedures, including development, validation, and approval. Monitor and maintain standards of performance in quality control (QC) and quality assurance (QA); ensures key performance indicators (KPI's) are met.
- Working with the VP of Laboratory Quality, providing the required technical knowledge and management to ensure that methods, documentation, and laboratory activities are compliant with regulations and requirements to retain certifications and accreditations.
- Represent the lab as prime internal and customer contact on testing requests and proposals; may review and negotiate contracts.
- May field client calls, lead conference calls, serving as a technical expert.
- Ensure the laboratory is adequately staffed for efficient management of workloads.
- Responsible for overall management and professional development of lab employees.
- Provide oversight on training opportunities for laboratory personnel and assures that analysts maintain a high proficiency level in analytical methods.
- Participate with Leadership to provide strategic plans and ideas to improve efficiency of laboratory operations, especially with the incorporation of new technologies.
- Develop budgets for areas of responsibility to incorporate into overall operations.
- Make contributions to scientific literature and conferences by active involvement in relevant professional organizations and manuscripts for publication.
- Represent the laboratory through presentations that promote the SPL vision and mission.